In June your Session held a half day retreat. It was a time to meet new session members, set committees and discuss the year ahead. For part of the morning Pastor TJ asked us to brainstorm what our church had accomplished over the past year and since Covid. At times brainstorming sessions can be intimidating. What if I don’t have anything to add to the discussion? What if we haven’t accomplished anything?
This is the list we came up with. . . . . . . .
- Resuming In-Person Gatherings
- Launching the Grace Jordan Food Pantry
- Eliminating Grace Jordan Lunch Debt
- Stretch Campaign for Parking Lot/Security
- Restructuring Session Committees
- Holy Humor & Pride Worship Services
- Introducing Pronouns on Nametags
- Carpenter’s Gift Project & Drew’s House
- Livestreaming Improvements
- Brighter Sanctuary Lighting
- Puppet Team Leading Worship Regularly
- Sabbath Worship Creativity
- Fellowship Meals and Dinners for 8
- Monthly Birthday Celebrations
- A Full Staff Team Onboard
- Instituting Annual Employee Reviews
- Updating Job Descriptions & Policies
- Fewer Paper Mailings / Stamped Mail
- New Church Sign on Overland
- New, Mobile-Friendly Church Website
- New Church Photo Directory
- New community groups welcomed
- Community Easter Egg Hunt
- Partnering with Whitney UMC
- Brewed for Thought; Dominoes
- Prayground Table in Sanctuary
Wow! What a list of accomplishments!
In a time when organized religion faces many struggles our congregation is Thriving. You all accomplished so much and we should all be proud of what we have done to share the love of Christ over the past year. Some large projects, some small – yet all important to our mission of sharing God’s Word.
Throughout October, we will reflect on what it means to Thrive in and through God’s Grace. Worship will include a weekly Moment for Stewardship with members of the congregation speaking about the incredible things God is doing through Southminster. This will coordinate with a four-week sermon series entitled “Thriving,” which will look at stewardship and generosity through a theological lens.
As we celebrate the ways in which we are thriving, you are encouraged to consider the importance of Southminster in your life, and how your continued financial support can further the mission and ministry of this congregation. Throughout the month, commitment cards (pledge cards) will be available at the church and online. As your Session plans for the 2024 financial budget and discerns what God is calling us to do together in the next twelve months, it is important to have a good estimate of income.
Southminster has a passionate and compassionate congregation. Our base is strong and we recognize the opportunities we have for growth. As we move into the fall calendar the opportunities for spiritual growth, fellowship and Christian Education await us. (And, we have a nice parking lot, too).
By God’s Grace, Southminster is Thriving!
Stewardship & Finance Elder
on behalf of Session