A Brief History of Our Congregation & Building
In the fall of 1955, Southminster Presbyterian Church was a building under construction in a new and rapidly-growing neighborhood. But it was also much more than that. It was a hope materializing, a vision coming to life. The American Mission Board of the United Presbyterian Church decided a new church was needed in the area. They purchased the land, drew up plans for the new building, engaged a contractor, and began construction.
The first service was held on December 11, 1955 with 300 people in attendance. The building was dedicated six weeks later on January 29, 1956. The first class of 65 members was received by a provisional session of two elders. Two more classes of members were received before the charter membership roll was closed with 79 members. The church and its mission grew rapidly. A need for more church school space arose, and Pletcher Hall was built in 1961. The new sanctuary was added in its present location in 1976. In the new millennium, the congregation began to envision a new more welcoming and accessible space for food and fellowship. This prayerful discernment resulted in an expanded gathering space and new offices built just outside the sanctuary, opening in 2020.
The History of Pastoral Leadership at Southminster
Many changes have occurred over the past sixty years. We have been blessed by many, many faithful servants of God since Southminster first opened its doors. Included among these leaders are numerous pastors, associate pastors, transitional pastors, and pastors-to-be.
Rev. William F. Pinkerton, Organizing Pastor (1956-1963)
Rev. Jim Moore, Pastor (1964-1970)
Rev. Leonard “Pat” Patterson, Calling Pastor (1976-1978), Interim Pastor (1978-1979)
Rev. John W. Pickrell, Pastor (1970-1978)
Rev. Kurt J. Kremlick, Jr., Pastor (1979-1989)
Rev. Alice McDowell, Assistant Pastor (1981-1982)
Rev. Debra Bergeson, Associate Pastor (1987-1990)
Rev. Cynthia Scanlin, Interim Pastor (1989-1990)
Rev. William R. Ness, Interim Pastor (1991-1992)
Rev. Donald Shrumm, Pastor (1992-2005)
Rev. Edward Dunn, Interim Pastor (2006-2008)
Rev. Marci Auld Glass, Pastor (2008-2020)
Rev. Marianne Paul, Transitional Pastor (2020-2022)
Rev. Timothy “TJ” Remaley, Pastor (2022-Present)